Saturday, January 10, 2009

Swell




Today was grand. I got to talk to my parents for the first time since I got here, and I watched a delightful zombie movie. What more could a girl ask for on a Saturday? Oh, Yeah, so since it is Saturday it is banya day, and I didn’t faint or get light-headed or anything. And I got to do the second day of Breaking Free. Woo hoo. And I listened to some rockin’ RUF music (I am actually doing that right now)!! J
SO yesterday Veronika and I went to a club at like 10 or something…. As we were leaving, this guy that is crazy about Nika who works with Papa was drinking with Papa in the garage and he called us. It kinda annoyed Nika, and a bit ruined the party mood. He called her a bunch, and then Papa called to, the next thing I know I see Papa and this guy (Sasha) in a taxi pulling up next to us. They were good and drunk and papa got out and made Sasha get out, and told Vera that Sasha loved her and Papa got back in the taxi and drove off. So we were stuck with a drunk guy who likes Nika (and btw has a girlfriend). So we go to the bank as planned, and he follows us, and I dunno, he and Vera talk about something. He said he’d walk her back to her home, and she said we were gonna continue our walk (she didn’t wanna tell him where we are going), and that he should find a ride. We left him when he was on the phone to someone (I couldn’t tell who). We walked off to catch the tram. I think we were supposed to walk the whole way, but my feet were hurting… I was wearing chunky socks and each of the knits were digging into me…… yeah. I hate socks…. But this particular problem was not merely the socks’ fault. So we go by tram, pass the White Swan (it is a penitentiary and inexplicably one of my favorite places EVER), and go to this club, that apperhently has a really bad rap because Nika told be to not tell anybody we were there. Yeah, it wasn’t open yet so we stalled a bit. Then we went to the bathroom because the coat check wasn’t open yet, and I took off my socks and put them in my coat pockets. Then we check our coats and got some nasty fruit-juice mix thing… ew…. It reminded me of a Black Russian… plus juice. Ew. I didn’t drink it all. Then we went upstairs and I got some chips and a strawberry daiquiri, and she got a Screwdriver… we were seriously the only people there, well upstairs there were some people… but not many. So we went downstairs and danced. We were the only people dancing for at least 30-45 minutes. Then some other girls danced… then the left. Eventually people started dancing. It was goodtimes. People didn’t really bother us. Every now and then a guy would attempt to drunkenly communicate with us and we typically wouldn’t understand…. One time I understood and Nika didn’t!! yea for lack of grammar skills helping me understand drunk people!!! Anywho we danced a lot. And MY FEET WERE KILLLLLLING ME. I was wearing my rocking awesome stiletto boots, but they have this seam in them at the ball of my feet which very effectively induced blisters. There at the end I couldn’t move my feet at all…..I just shifted my weight and moved my body. I finally told Vera and she got peeved that I didn’t tell her sooner, so we left via taxi. It was a swell night. We left about 2 or so, which it pretty early, but I could barely stand at that point. We came home, had some chai, and went to bed. J
We found out today that Sasha didn’t go home, but somehow wound up in Griva, which is our part of town, and dropped and broke his phone. Then some guys asked him for a cigarette, but he couldn’t abide because he doesn’t smoke, so they got pissed at him withholding and mugged him and beat him up. I dunno what happened then, but he told Vera this online so I guess he got home ok eventually…. I dunno how without any money…
Today Vitalik is celebrating his b-day. The celebration started about 5 and will end tomorrow morning…. Also Vitalik went clubbin’ last night at the hippest club in town legally for the first time, and went into the VIP room because his friends work there. Yeah, and he got home at 7am. That kid. He didn’t ever formally invite me to his party tonight but he explained to me that he thought I would be crazy bored because they were all just gonna get shwasted and also he said his friends are so young I would feel weird. But while he explained all of this to me he did it with the deepest sincerity and concern that I would be offended for some reason. Ah, to be 18 in D-pils…..
It is way weird that Vitalik is the same age I was when I was here last.
Okay kids, those of you who are praying for me, this is what is up with spiritually. I am struggling spiritually for a few rather silly reasons…. I am really, really happy here. I have no responsibilities, I just chill all day and speak Russian and spend time with my darling family and watch Russian movies and listen to Russian music, and the closest thing I have to work is knitting Babushka’s scarf or doing some light translation. Seriously? Is this a mini-taste of Deah’s heaven? And I SUUUUUCK at seeking God when all is well. I feel normal when things are stressful and crap. I know I NEED this time of rest and I thank God for it, but it is making me SO spiritually lazy. I am not constantly being reminded of my need for God, which usually is the case. I know it is not that I need Him less it is just that I am more blind to it. Also, I am pretty much never alone in a room, and if I am it is at some level weird, and someone typically comes in and asks me why. This is a dream come true for my co-dependent self, but a crap-load less than ideal for my spiritual life. I would certainly prefer solitude to be with the Lord, but I honestly don’t know how to get it…. Pray that I find solitude. I did get some today, but even then I had to be on the computer to access the Bible which made it not seem as much like solitude to me for some silly reason, but it was AMAZING to be alone with God. :D
So, yes, pray that I am able to use this time of Rest and Peace for the Glory of the Lord, That I am able, by the grace of God, to dig into his Word, That through the grace of God I would be able to swiftly defeat any spiritual attacks that Satan has been or will throw my way (cause he has been working a sneaking in seemingly unobtrusive ways including attacking my thought life with “little” lies). So, if you would be so kind to cover me in prayer I will ALWAYS appreciate it. Just, If you ever get the time.
Ok kids, I guess this is long enough!! I love you all!!! Peace out!!!

3 comments:

  1. I love it that your weakness in Russian grammar structure helps you to understand the "schnockered" dialect!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! That makes me wonder if native Russians here in the US naturally assume I'm drunk when they hear my poor Russian!!!! :-)

    Nina and I visited the Russian store here in Tulsa today--I had a craving for 'seer-roke' (little cheesecake treats covered in chocolate). Our host family in Moscow introduced John and I to them--we got hooked on 'em. :-)

    Am praying for you, I know that spiritual 'ease', as well as spiritual isolation can be a huge challenge. Be encouraged, prayer is something you can focus on without needing to use the computer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know!!! I love soroke!!! I love it!! I had like 4 yesterday!!!! I eat them like everytime I have chai... ah, perhaps thisis how I gained weight last time?

    ReplyDelete