Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday

The day of rest. We went to church this morning, cooked some food and ate it. Great aunt Vera is staying with us in Babushka's room. I thought Vera lived in Belarus, but she doesn't she lives in D-pils. ...yeppp. not alot going down here, although I did get to do another thing of breaking free. :) and I downloaded a version of the bible to my computer so now, I don't hav eto have the internet to read the Bible, I just need my laptop. The version I downloaded is NET. I've never heard of it before but the ones I had heard of are copyrighted (except for KJV which I am not really in the mood for). So, it is bound to be better than nothing. I am excited about it.
A couple days ago this verse struck me:
"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." Galatians 6:14

Of course the bosting in the cross struck me, but I have heard that so oft. I know I struggle terribly with pride, and that I am sure I boast in plenty of things other than the cross, Lord help me. But what particularly struck me was the description of the cross: "...through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." Just as the Word of the Lord is a two edged sword, the cross of the Lord is double acting, but the end result is a separation of that which it made pure by the blood of the lamb, and that which is still covered in sin, but in a way crucifying both. Interesting Jesus, Holy Spirit, and Paul. Interesting.

And today I read this Awesome prayer from the Valley of Vision puritan prayer collection book:

The Valley of Vision

LORD, HIGH AND HOLY, MEEK AND LOWLY,
Thou hast brought me to the valley of vision,
where I live in the depths but see the in the heights;
hemmed in by mountains of sin I behold thy glory.

Let me learn by paradox
that the way down is the way up,
that to be low is to be high,
that the broken heart is the healed heart,
that the contrite spirit is the rejoicing spirit,
that the repenting soul is the victorious soul,
that to have nothing is to possess all,
that to bear the cross is to wear the crown,
that to give is to receive,
that the valley is the place of vision.
Lord, in the daytime stars can be seen from the deepest wells,
and the deeper the wells the brighter thy stars shine;
Let me find thy light in my darkness,
thy life in my death,
thy joy in my sorrow,
thy grace in my sin,
thy riches in my poverty,
thy glory in my valley.




AMEN! Is that not beautiful! Lord I love thee!!!!! And I love you all too!!! :)
God bless you today!

3 comments:

  1. Deah what an awesome prayer!!!!!
    Thank you for sharing your heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valley of Vision is RICH! We were introduced to it by one of John's (my husband) profs. at DTS years ago. It truly is one of my/our FAV books--among our 'top 10'.

    Did you know that Sovereign Grace Ministries did an album based on some of the Valley of Vision prayers? Great album to check out if you've never heard it--listen to samples at the Sov. Grace Music website. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, the first song on the album is based on the prayer you posted. :-)

    ReplyDelete